Wall Oven Buying Guide
Wall ovens are a must-have for any modern kitchen. These versatile appliances not only provide an efficient and convenient way to cook and bake, but they also add a sleek and stylish touch to your kitchen decor. Whether you’re an avid baker or simply need a reliable appliance for everyday cooking, a wall oven can make a world of difference in your kitchen.
However, with so many options available, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one for your needs. That’s why we’ve created this wall oven buying guide to help you navigate the different features, types, and sizes available on the market today.
Different Types of Wall Ovens
There are three main types of wall ovens: single, double, and combination ovens. We will go over the differences to help you decide which oven size is right for you.
- Single: Single ovens are ideal for smaller kitchens or for those who cook less frequently. These are designed to fit in a standard 24-inch cabinet and come with one cooking compartment.
- Double: Double wall ovens provide more cooking space which makes them ideal for larger families or those who frequently entertain guests. These ovens have two cooking compartments stacked vertically.
- Combination: Combination ovens offer a range of cooking options, combining a standard oven with a microwave or steam oven for added versatility.
- Electric: These ovens are powered by electricity, tend to be the most common option, and are known for their consistent heat distribution. Electric wall ovens can be found in the following styles: single, double, or combination.
- Gas: Gas wall ovens use natural gas or propane as their fuel source and are known for their efficiency and high heat output. Their efficiency makes them ideal for cooking at high temperatures.
Single VS Double Wall Oven
When it comes to choosing a wall oven for your kitchen, you have two main options: a single-wall oven or a double-wall oven. Both types of ovens offer their own unique benefits, and the choice ultimately comes down to your personal cooking needs and preferences. Here are the pros of each oven style:
Single-Wall Oven Benefits
- They take up less space in the kitchen when compared to a double-wall oven
- Typically more budget-friendly
- They require less energy to operate
- They are packed with advanced features and are a good fit for small families
Double-Wall Oven Benefits
- Offers more cooking capacity than a single wall oven, allowing you to cook multiple dishes at once
- Provides the ability to cook at different temperatures and with different cooking modes at the same time
- They can add value to your home
- Ideal for entertaining or cooking for large families, saving you time as you can prepare multiple dishes at once
- Each oven can have or offer different features and functions
Common Wall Oven Features
Let’s take a look at some common features to consider when looking to purchase a new wall oven for your kitchen. Before diving into the common features, think about whether you prefer a gas or electric oven. Electric ovens are more common, but gas ovens can be more efficient and provide a more consistent heat source.
- Convection Cooking: This feature uses a fan to circulate hot air inside the oven, ensuring even cooking and browning. A convection feature is ideal for baking and roasting, just like this Frigidaire total convection oven that offers convection cooking in both ovens.
- Self-Cleaning Options: Self-cleaning features eliminate the need for manual cleaning by using high heat or steam to clean the oven’s interior. Some ovens also have a steam-cleaning option, which uses water and a low temperature to loosen and dissolve stains and grease.
- Built-in Temperature Probes: Temperature probes allow you to monitor the internal temperature of your food while it cooks, ensuring that it’s cooked to perfection. The oven will automatically turn off when the desired temperature is reached.
- WiFi Connectivity: WiFi connectivity allows you to control and monitor your oven remotely using a smartphone or tablet. You can preheat the oven, adjust cooking time and temperature, browse recipes, receive notifications when your food is done, and so much more. This Cafe Appliances oven even features voice control as part of its WiFi connectivity features.
- Air Fry: This feature uses a fan to circulate hot air around your food, creating a crispy, fried texture without the need for oil. It’s a healthier alternative to traditional frying and is ideal for cooking foods like chicken wings, french fries, and onion rings.
- Sabbath Mode: This mode is designed for those who observe the Sabbath and restrict certain activities during that time. It allows the oven to be used without any electronic displays, alarms, or lights turning on or off, and may also disable certain functions.
- Delay Start: With this feature, you can program the oven to start cooking at a later time, so you can prepare meals in advance and have them ready when you need them.
- Warming Drawer: Some ovens have a warming drawer located underneath the main oven, which can keep cooked dishes warm until serving time.
- Easy-Glide Racks: These racks are designed to slide smoothly in and out of the oven, making it easier to load and unload heavy dishes.
- Precision Cooking Modes: Some ovens have precision cooking modes that use sensors and advanced algorithms to cook food to a specific level of doneness, such as rare, medium, or well-done. This can be particularly useful for cooking meats and seafood.
- Steam Cooking: This feature uses steam to cook food, preserving nutrients and moisture while eliminating the need for oil or butter. It’s ideal for cooking vegetables, fish, and rice.
Wall Ovens Installations
Wall ovens are typically installed in a built-in cabinet at eye level, which can help make cooking and baking more convenient. It’s important to ensure your kitchen has the necessary electrical or gas hookups, as well as adequate space and support for the oven’s weight.
Some wall ovens also require additional ventilation, so it’s important to consult with a professional installer to ensure proper installation. Sherman’s offers professional delivery and installation services to ensure your appliances are properly installed and ready to perform.
How To Pick The Right Wall Oven
In addition to the features and types mentioned above, when selecting a wall oven, you should consider your cooking habits and preferences. Consider things such as how often you bake, if you need multiple racks for cooking several dishes at once, and if you are interested in advanced cooking features like steam or speed cooking. Here is a list of things to keep in mind to help you select the right wall oven:
- Lifestyle: Consider your cooking habits and lifestyle when choosing a wall oven. For example, do you host often or cook for a large family? You want to make sure your new oven is able to keep up with your daily needs.
- Budget: Have your budget determined before you begin shopping for a wall oven. Keep in mind that higher-priced models often come with more advanced features.
- Features: Determine which features are most important to you and will best attend to your cooking needs.
- Size: Consider the interior capacity of the oven, this is especially important if you cook large dishes or multiple dishes at once.
- Brand: Research the brand that you are interested in to make sure they carry the right model for you. Most brands also include brand-specific features that you should keep an eye out for. Our appliance experts are always happy to answer any questions and help you find the right brand and model to fit your needs.
- Style: Select an oven that compliments the overall style of your kitchen. Think about the finish that you want and whether you would like a more traditional wall oven or a bold oven that will make a statement in your kitchen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Wall Ovens Need To Be Vented?
Wall ovens do not typically need to be vented to the outside, as they are designed to be self-contained. However, if you are installing a wall oven in a cabinet that does not have adequate ventilation, you may need to install a vent hood above the oven to help dissipate heat and prevent damage to the cabinet.
How Wide Is a Wall Oven?
Wall ovens come in a variety of sizes, but most standard wall ovens are 24 inches wide. However, some models can be as narrow as 21 inches or as wide as 30 inches.
How To Remove a Wall Oven?
To remove a wall oven, first turn off the power supply to the oven at the circuit breaker. Next, remove the oven door by lifting it up and pulling it away from the oven. Then, remove any screws or brackets that are holding the oven in place within the cabinet. Carefully pull the oven out of the cabinet and disconnect the electrical and gas connections (if applicable). Finally, lift the oven up and out of the cabinet. We recommend that you have someone help you with this process, as wall ovens can be heavy and difficult to maneuver on your own.
Are Wall Ovens Better Than Ranges?
They are different appliances that each serve their own purpose in the kitchen. A wall oven is designed to be installed directly into a wall or cabinet at eye level, while a range combines a cooktop and oven in one unit that is typically installed in a kitchen countertop.
Wall ovens can offer more advanced features, such as convection cooking, precision cooking modes, and steam cooking since they are designed solely for baking and roasting. Ranges, on the other hand, are designed for both stovetop cooking and baking.
How To Measure For a Wall Oven?
When measuring for a wall oven, you should measure the height, width, and depth of the cabinet opening where it will be installed. Make sure to measure the distance from the floor to the bottom of the cabinet opening to ensure that the oven will be at a comfortable height for you to use.
The Perfect Wall Oven For You
Now that you are more familiar with what to consider when picking the right oven for you, it’s time to elevate your kitchen with a new oven! Remember to select your favorite features and consider your cooking needs based on your family size and kitchen habits.
Feel free to give us a call or stop by any of our kitchen appliance stores in Peoria, Normal, and Peru, Illinois, to get professional advice from our appliance experts. We strive to provide the best customer service and care about helping you build your dream kitchen. We are here to help you through the process of upgrading your kitchen from start to finish.
Browse our great selection of wall ovens for sale from top brands such as Café Appliances, Fisher & Paykel, Miele, Wolf, and much more. Whether you are searching for a new sleek stainless steel single electric wall oven or a convenient double wall model with ample oven capacity, Sherman’s kitchen appliance store has got you covered.
Leave a Reply